Most people don’t think of things like New Year’s Resolutions as being specific to Christians, and not all of them have to be, but what better way to ring in the new year than to work on strengthening your relationship with God and vowing to become stronger in the Lord?!
Here are some New Year’s Resolutions you may wish to add to your list of resolutions (that don’t have to be started at New Year’s-they can be started at any time!):
1. Read your Bible daily (Psalm 119:105, Psalm 119:11, Romans 15:4m 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
-Don’t get overwhelmed. You don’t have to read the entire Bible at once (because then you would never comprehend all that you have read), but take it one verse at a time.
2. Go to church more often (Herbrews 10:24-25, Psalm 150:1-6)
-It is so important to go to church regularly so you can be spiritually fed through the word of the Lord. It doesn’t matter if you have read the Bible several times and heard a lot of different takes on the same verse, the word of the Lord is a living, breathing thing and changes as different people read it and new context is brought to it (Hebrews 4:12). It is also important to surround yourself with other believers to help uplift and support you and encourage you along the correct path.
3. Pray for wisdom (James 1:5)
-Wisdom is something most people do not think to ask for in today’s society, but it is so important. If we have the wisdom of God within us, we will make the right choices and follow God whole-heartedly.
4. Find an accountability partner/friend who will help you grow in Christ and motivate and encourage you in the Lord.
-Having a peer who is strong in the Lord, has the same beliefs as you, and can encourage you along the right path is such a strong asset to your life.
5. Commit yourself fully to the Lord to do His will and live for Him (Psalm 37:5-6)
-When you live for the Lord and do His will in your life, God will bless you and will allow His light to shine through you to help others come to see him through your words and actions.
I like the ones listed on http://www.christianpost.com as well (http://www.christianpost.com/buzzvine/10-new-years-resolutions-every-christian-should-make-111628/)
- Resolve to stay faithful to Jesus Christ. He is the one Truth, Way and Life. There’s no reason to look elsewhere.
- Resolve to not let anything – a career, a significant other, social media, a house – become an object of worship.
- Resolve to watch your language and not speak any destructive talk, especially involving the name of God.
- Resolve to prevent burnout by putting aside work one day a week. Trust God to provide for your needs that day and just enjoy the time He’s given you.
- Resolve to talk to your parents on a regular basis, and show them love and respect.
- Resolve to be angry less. Channel any feelings of rage, which Jesus said are as severe as murder, into worshiping God and serving others.
- Resolve to honor your commitment to your spouse. Whether in thought or in deed, stay pure and loyal in the union God made.
- Resolve to not take anything that’s not yours, including stuff you can hold and put in your pocket, and plenty that you can’t, like music downloads, streaming movies and hours on your timecard.
- Resolve to speak about others only with truth and love, not gossip.
- Resolve to be content with what you have, and not worry about that others are amassing.